Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sugar Queen review

Well, it seems I was the only one who read The Sugar Queen, so I’ll make this review short. I liked it. It had a few words that I didn’t like reading (see warning here) but overall, I enjoyed reading it. Allen’s books (I’ve read both) tend to be very light, fluffy and whimsical. It was one of those books that you take to the beach (or something) for a bit of light reading – or to escape into another world.

The thing I enjoyed most about the book was that it encouraged Josey to find her own way; to be her own person. It was good to see her evolve into her own person. I enjoyed all the character interactions. I cringed when reading the parts about Josey’s mother, and was quietly thankful for a family who has always encouraged me to “be myself.” I know it sounds corny, but it’s true.

I also enjoyed the relationship that Chloe had with books – how they were always finding her at the time when she needed them most. And I loved how persistent they were; even crawling into the bathroom, though they were supposed to be afraid of water. I loved how Chloe would talk to the books – because I do the same thing. I talk to books, and to the characters in them. I’ve always been a bookworm and I relate to the characters in the books – and I often relate to them by talking out loud. Cory thinks me very funny :)

So, in short, this is a fun and fluffy book. It's not-challenging and a quick read - and everyone ends up happy. My kind of book!

No comments: