Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Early Post for Princess Academy

First, I have to confess that this is the first book I’ve read for our Book Club. I had already read Angels and Demons and I’m one of those who can’t reread a book. I tried, I really did! Then, I started to read Beloved, but two pages into I put down. It just wasn’t my cup of tea. So, I was excited when Sarah said we were reading Princess Academy-a new book for me and by an author I like! So, here are some of my ramblings on the book:

I got the book on May 2nd and finished on May 3rd. It was a nice quick read for me but one full of life lessons on love and family, feeling useful and accepted, the importance of communication, the power of memories, courage, ect. Even though the first half of the story was a little slow for me, I thought the second half was exciting and suspenseful. I loved the ending,-I thought everything worked out just the way it should.

In the beginning, Miri felt lonely, but she was always pretending she didn’t care when she was left out of things. At one point Miri comes to realize that she isn’t the only one that feels lonely-Britta does, Karta does. It’s a universal feeling. I could also relate to Miri feelings of being small and useless. I’ve felt that way in my own life, wishing that I could be better or do better at something. It was amazing to see how Miri grew and became confident in herself. When she learned to read and was able to help her village with the traders she finally felt useful. It just goes to show that we can’t all do everything. We all have our own special talents and abilities. We all have to find our own place in this world, our destiny, something we were meant to do.

The words of the book are poetic and flowing, full of truth and wisdom. There is such beautiful imagery in the following phrases:
"A promise of something different. A place to go, a chance to move forward."
"Let it all slide out. Unhappiness can’t stick in a person’s should when it’s slick with tears."
"If Miri’s wings are free, what will she do now?"

Finally, I loved all the scenes with Miri and Peder and he’s probably my favorite character. I love that Mini had such a connection with him. He was the one to receive her quarry-speak cry for help.

Lonnie :-)

2 comments:

Melvin and Carly said...

I read Princess Academy several months ago and loved it. Peder is one of my favorites as well and I was pleased with the ending. I would love to hear the quarry-speak and the chanting that was included throughout the book. I'm sure it sounded different in my head than it would to others.

maggierose said...

Dear reader's
I love the book Princess Academy.
I love how when i have to stop it just like leaves you hanging there.
it is a smidge violent. So don't tell it as a bedtime stoy. my favorite character is Peder. but on second thought Britta was my second favorite. I would really like to know what happend to Peder and Miri. If the writter is reading this please write a continuing book to see what happens to Britta, steffen, Katar, Esa, Peder and Miri. your reader,
Kendra